Joining Forces with Age UK
SSAFA has joined forces with Age UK in a ground-breaking initiative to improve the lives of veterans born before 1950, their families and carers.
By working jointly and pooling resources, we are hoping to build on our shared expertise and create communities where elderly veterans are well looked after and get the help and support they deserve.
Sign up for our email newsletter to get our latest news in your inbox
What is Joining Forces?
- Local branches of Age UK and SSAFA are teaming up to deliver 12 projects across England* plus three nationwide initiatives
- The projects are aimed at helping anyone who has completed at least one day of military service and was born before 1950, as well as their family and carers
- The ultimate aim of the project is to join up the different sources of support available to older veterans, and to then carry out services to fill any gaps in provision
- A new section of Age UK’s website - available to anyone nationwide - provides tailored information for older veterans, their family or carers
- The new 'Call in Time' telephone befriending service matches isolated older veterans nationwide with volunteers for regular chats.
- Age UK will also be piloting a bespoke app to help support the needs of the older person, as well as sending out a regular nationwide email newsletter
- Joining Forces, which is supported by the Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust, is funded through the Aged Veterans Fund via the Chancellor using LIBOR funds
Where is it happening?
*The projects will take place in Cheshire East, Darlington, Gloucestershire, Lancashire, Leicestershire & Rutland, Nottingham & Nottinghamshire, Portsmouth, Tyne & Wear, West Cumbria, Wirral, Wolverhampton and Worcestershire.
The Joining Forces web hub, email newsletter and telephone befriending service are all available to aged veterans nationally.
How do I find out more?
To find out more, visit the Joining Forces web hub.
Are you a veteran who would like to have a free weekly chat on the phone? Do you know someone who could benefit from the Call in Time befriending service? Click here for more information.
Would you like to receive regular news about the support available for veterans born before 1950 and the Joining Forces projects? Click here to sign up to the Joining Forces email newsletter.
If you would like to speak to Sophie Nathan (our Joining Forces Outreach Advisor), please fill out the webform below.
Joining Forces is recruiting volunteers!
Would you like to support the Joining Forces project? We are looking for volunteers to take on the role of Joining Forces Liaison - you can read the full role description here.
As a Joining Forces Liaison, you can gain:
· Experience of the Armed Forces Community and working with clients
· A feeling of “doing good” and “giving back” to your local community
· A chance to develop skills to support your career interest
· Knowledge of SSAFA and the third sector
No prior experience or military background is necessary. If you are interested in the role, please email Sophie.Nathan@ssafa.org.uk for more information.