Who can adopt
There is no typical adoptive parent. At SSAFA we work with a wide range of people, providing homes for children with a range of needs.
Sign up for our email newsletter to get our latest news in your inbox
We are interested in families from all backgrounds:
- Single, in a civil partnership, married or unmarried
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or heterosexual
- From any ethnic or religious background
- Serving personnel or ex-Serving for three years
- Any age (over 21), UK domiciled and with no criminal convictions against children.
What we're looking for
We are especially looking for applications from:
- People who can consider adopting single children who are aged three and upwards
- People who can consider adopting brothers and sisters of all ages who need to be adopted together
- People who can consider children aged 0 – 4 years who have additional needs
- People from black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds who can give children from diverse backgrounds of all ages an adoptive family that reflects their heritage.
Becoming an adoptive parent
An adoptive parent needs to be able to offer an environment that is safe, stable and loving for children to grow and enjoy a healthy, constant family life. Some qualities of an adoptive parent include the ability to empathise with a child, to have fun and be able to handle difficult situations.
You must be over 21 and have a spare bedroom in your home to adopt in the UK.
What qualities do you need?
Some children have had many moves and they find it difficult to trust adults. You need to have the ability to:
- Offer a family environment that is safe, stable and loving
- Commit to giving your child a healthy and constant family life
- Empathise with your child
- Have fun
- Handle difficult situations
- Be patient and calm
Don’t be alarmed by this list. We are certain you have some of these qualities already and we can support you to develop others. Getting the timing right for an application and ensuring you have the right support in place if you are successful is crucial. We can help you to achieve this by providing ideas, assisting you to manage employment commitments and generally offering reassurance when you need it. Don't rule yourself out, contact us for a discussion.