How we deliver health care
SSAFA provides high-quality, patient-focussed healthcare in response to the needs of the military community and working in partnership with the NHS and local services.
Sign up for our email newsletter to get our latest news in your inbox
We have been instrumental in implementing a new military families care pathway with the Department of Health and we continue to be at the forefront of delivery of healthcare to the Ministry of Defence overseas. Our services ensure that families living away from home can rely on the same high quality service that they would receive in the United Kingdom.
Our teams are professionally led and work is delivered by senior clinicians and social workers. We adhere to UK standards in all our services including requirements and regulations of UK professional bodies such as the General Medical Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council.
British Forces Germany Health Service
We work with our healthcare partners Guy's and Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust to provide a fully integrated health service to 10,000 patients in North West Europe. This includes military families and entitled civilians throughout British Forces Germany and detachments in Western Europe as well as isolated detachments in Southern Europe, Holland and Belgium.
As part of the SSAFA GSTT Care Limited Liability Partnership or LLP, SSAFA are responsible for every aspect of primary, community and secondary healthcare services in the area. We employ 100 staff in North West Europe including general practitioners, nurses, midwives, health visitors, allied health professionals and managers. For further information, please visit the SSAFA GSTT Care LLP website.
We will continue to provide this high standard of care until drawdown is completed in BFG in 2020. While drawdown means that the Armed Forces are rebasing out of British Forces Germany and back to the UK, at SSAFA we continue to seek opportunities to enhance and grow our health services overseas.
Health partnerships worldwide
Around the world our health care staff work in local communities to provide health services that specialise in meeting the needs of military families.
Our skilled professional team is committed to working in partnership with military personnel, local health services and other agencies to ensure our health care is responsive to the individual circumstances of smaller overseas commands of Cyprus, Gibraltar, Brunei, Canada and Nepal.
Our innovative services
Around the world, SSAFA's professional staff are dedicated to providing pioneering services:
- In Cyprus, SSAFA Health Zones provide one-stop health shops for young families; and paediatric nurses, health visitors and social work colleagues have established a Support Group for Families of Children and Young Persons with Additional Needs
- SSAFA health visitors and social workers in Brunei run the ‘Incredible Years’ parenting programme and a ‘minor illness’ training programme for newly arrived parents
- Our successful working partnership with Alberta Child and Families Health Service in Canada has strengthened the safeguarding process for military children in BATUS
- In Nepal, the community nurse practitioner established a Nurses Forum to improve professional development opportunity and primary care nursing practice.
- We are now providing remote access Health Visitor support to the UK military community in Kenya